Aluminum Breakaway Clip (ABC250 & ABC450 Clips) for Area Separation Wall (ASW) Assemblies
Aluminum breakaway clips are used on both sides of area separation walls, for support by the adjacent structure. Clips are designed so that when a fire occurs, the clips on the fire side of the wall will melt, allowing the burned structure to fall away without dragging down the protective area separation wall. This maintains protection of the adjacent building, no matter which side of the wall is exposed to fire.
Aluminum Breakaway Clip Product Description:
Super Stud clips are the most common configuration for Area Separation Wall assemblies. Clips are made of construction grade aluminum sheet, with pre-drilled holes in both flanges. Holes are 5/32” diameter (0.156” or 4 mm) and placed as shown in diagrams.
Holes are 5/32” diameter (0.156” or 4 mm) and placed as shown.Product Data:
Product Category: Nonstructural Area Separation Walls (typically specification section 09 22 16)
Yield Strength: 21 KSI Tensile Strength: 22 KSI
Material: Aluminum 3003-H14
Temperature Range: Heat Softenable at 1000 Degrees Fahrenheit
Hole Size: 5/32” (4 mm)
Thickness: 0.050” (min) 0.052” (design)
ASTM and Code Standards:
International Building Code (IBC) 2006 - 2021
Sheet Aluminum: Aluminum Association (AA) 3003-H14
UNS A93003, ISO AlMn1Cu
Members and Tolerances: ASTM C645
Meets ASTM C1007 when installed properly in structure
Use & Installation Instructions:
Important:For a detailed description of clip requirements and wall construction, please consult the appropriate Underwriters Laboratories (UL) design or gypsum company requirements for Area Separation Walls.Installation:
- Once the first level of wall is installed with double liner panels, H-studs, and C-runners, attach all H-studs and vertical C-runners to adjacent framing with aluminum breakaway clips.
- Clips attaching H-studs and vertical C-runners to adjacent framing on both sides require attachment to the H-stud and C-runner with one 3/8” Type S screw.
- Clips attaching H-studs and vertical C-runners to adjacent framing on only one side and with exterior exposure on the other side require attachment to the H-stud and C-runner with two 3/8” Type S screws.
- Attachment to the adjacent framing is with one 1-1/4” Type W or Type S screw.
- Wall heights are dictated by the specific fire-rated assembly.
- At least one clip is required at each floor line at each vertical steel element of the area separation wall.